Good Morning friends!
Hope everyone enjoyed the weekeend. I did. I worked a little, saw some friends and on Saturday I ran in the 5 mile NYRR Pride Run. It was a great race, lots of spirit and an overall good time.
However, I was somewhat dehydrated going into the race and it was super humid, so by the end I was definitely feeling it.
It seemed like no matter what I did for the rest of the weekend, I was thirsty! Even now, Monday morning, I’m still craving hydrating, thirst-quenching food and drink. Perhaps it’s due to the continued humidity and overall gross weather conditions we are having. Nonetheless, I decided to put together a refreshing green smoothie for breakfast this morning and just went with my gut and what sounded good to me.
Here is what I added:
- a few chunks of frozen pineapple
- a few chunks of frozen banana
- 1-inch section of ginger
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1/2 a seedless cucumber
- a few stalks of celery
Blended together and voila! It was exactly what I was craving. Filling and refreshing. As you can see I am not big on measuring or using a recipe, I just throw in what I have and if its too thick I add more water. Too sweet, more greens. Not sweet enough, more fruit, etc.
I think this one is a winner, if I do say so myself. Not only does it taste great but it has a pretty good nutritional profile.
- Kale – fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals
- Ginger – anti-inflammatory, good for digestion
- Lemon – alkalizing, cleansing, good source a vitamin C
- Pineapple – good source of digestive enzymes (bromelain)
- Cucumber – antioxidants, anti-inflammatory
- Celery – fiber, good for digestion