As we approach these weeks in December for peak holiday party season, I thought I’d share a few tips on how to stay on track with healthy eating and fitness routines. Some of these I’m sure we’ve all heard before, but I think it helps to hear them again and have these tips front of mind before embarking on the holiday season.
In order to stay on track with healthy eating and fitness goals try to do the following:
1. Make exercise a priority. I know this sounds like a no-brainer but with the holiday season being busier and more stressful than normal, exercise can be put on the back burner. Be sure to schedule workouts as part of your daily routine and make alternate plans if you know you have a busy week ahead. i.e. Instead of going to the gym, maybe you can save time by doing a workout DVD at home.
2. Bring your own (healthy) food. If you are heading to a holiday cocktail party, offer to bring your own dish. That way you know there will be something healthy, that you enjoy, for you to eat. And, you will be a favorite guest.
3. Indulge and enjoy. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but deprivation can lead to overindulgence. Don’t deny yourself a favorite food, but choose to treat yourself with moderation. Choose wisely, savor and use portion control. No food should be off limits but try not to let one indulgence turn into a whole night of decadent treats.
4. Plan and prepare. Don’t let yourself become overstressed which can lead to skipped workouts and decreased willpower. Between holiday shopping, cocktail parties, work parties, family visits, and traveling, the holiday’s can be overwhelming. Plan ahead, make a schedule, make lists, pack healthy snacks – do whatever works for you to stay on track.
5. Focus on friends and family – not food. Remember that the holidays are about seeing loved ones and focus on connecting with people.
Remember that each day is a fresh start to make healthy choices!
Feel free to share any tips you have for staying healthy in the comments section!